Skip to main content
And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.


"You know what I say to people when I hear they're writing anti-war books?"
"No. What do you say, Harrison Starr?"
"I say, 'Why don't you write an anti-glacier book instead?'"
**
"And even if wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death."


I went to the University of Chicago for a while after the Second World War. I was a student in the Department of Anthropology. At that time, they were teaching that there was absolutely no difference between anybody. They may be teaching that still. Another thing they taught was that nobody was ridiculous or bad or disgusting. Shortly before my father died, he said to me, 'You know - you never wrote a story with a villain in it.' I told him that was one of the things I learned in college after the war.


All moments past, present, and future, always have existed, always will exist...It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever.


"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."


"There is no beginning, no middle, no end, no suspense, no moral, no causes, no effects. What we love in our books are the depths of many marvelous moments seen all at one time."


"People would be surprised if they knew how much in this world was due to prayers."


One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters.


 - Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"But books were different. They had lots of blanks. Blanks between words and even between lines. I could squeeze myself in there and sit, or walk, or scribble down my thoughts. It didn't matter if I had no idea what the words meant." "But books are quiet. They remain dead silent until somebody flips open a page. Only then do they spill out their stories, calmly and thoroughly, just enough at a time for me to handle." "What does love mean?" "To discover beauty." "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to judge you, I just wanted to know your purpose. Your purpose for running." Dora let out a sigh. "To me, that's like being asked, Why do you live? Do you live for any purpose? Let's be honest, we just live because we're alive." "Maybe understanding a language is like understanding the expressions and emotions of other people." "Old books seem all right, though. They have a richer scent that's more a...
Ich lebe mein Leben in wachsenden Ringen, die sich über die Dinge ziehn. Ich werde den letzten vielleicht nicht vollbringen, aber versuchen will ich ihn. Ich kreise um Gott, um den uralten Turm, und ich kreise jahrtausendelang; und ich weiß noch nicht: bin ich ein Falke, ein Sturm oder ein großer Gesang. - Rainer Maria Rilke